Thursday, April 8, 2010

Fahrenheit 451

I found this book to be interesting and tryed to imagine myself living in a society like the one portrayed in the book. It was very interesting to me that Clarisse made Guy rethink his entire life and career choose after just meeting her. I love that she is different from the everyone else and not afraid to stand out and speak her mind. She takes the time to notice even the littlest details and appreciate nature.
The point that families don't really interact with one another is very strange. They are just concerned about their TV panels . I found it very weird that Guy's wife, Mildred is so into TV that she thinks of the characters as her "family". What kind of family are people you can't talk to? When Clarisse and her family disappear I began to wonder what happened to them. The part about Clarisse being hit by a car, I don't believe she died. I think that was just made up to put a twist to the book.

4 comments:

  1. Clarisse reminds me of Violet from Feed. In many ways Violet helped Titus see that the feed was wrong and made him stop thinking for himself. Just the same, Clarisse and Guy went through a similar relationship. I also feel that her "death" hasn't given me closure. For her to be such a dynamic character in the beginning of the book and then to simply be hit by a car and have her family move away seems too empty. If this is a twist, I hope it has a better ending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too find it strange that she calls the tv characters her "family." In a way they can talk but its not to realistic. When the person on tv pauses and it has some generic sounding voice put her name in i guess you could say it makes it more personal. How ever it just goes to show how disconnected everyone has become. That's why i see Clarisse as a bit of hope in this book, and i hope shes not dead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't imagine living in a society where books are banned. I mean I don't like to read but that would just be insane not being able to read and think differently than everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't believe that Clarisse and her family are really gone. Like you, I feel that it was just put in to add a twist to the book. I also agree with you on how Clarisse is so different from everyone else in the society she does her own thing and for that I have a lot of respect for her. It's hard to stand up for something you believe in when the whole world seems to be against you.

    ReplyDelete