Thursday, April 22, 2010

Book Burning and Banning

In class this week, we dicussed book burning and the banning of books. I found it to be very interesting. Some of the books on the list that was given to us in class I have read and had no idea they had be banned at one point. I had to read most of them for my high school english classes.
I also didn't realize that there are people today who still burn books. I found it interesting that people are facing fines for doing so. I don't understand why some books are banned. I think that people just banned books that they don't understand or agree with.

3 comments:

  1. I have to agree with that. I think it's crazy to hear that books are still being burned today. I also think that the people who ban books today sometimes dont take the time to actually understand the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think book burnings today still happen due to the lack of people with open minds. Yes its freedom of speech, but why not let people read what they would like to read? It seems like mini dictatorships controlling what we read, its really kind of sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't feel the need to burn books. I don't know why other people would either. I mean yeah, they are trying to make a statement, but it would be so much easier to just say it and not burn things. I think that people should just not read something than as to go so far to ban it or burn it. It's becoming crazy.

    ReplyDelete