Thursday, February 4, 2010

Ads

I found this weeks classes very interesting. I never really took the time to really "look" at the ads or commericals that surround us everyday. Once I was asked to take a closer look, I began to realize that most ads are or have something to do with sex. Everything from clothing commericals to alcholic drink commericals have sex or something suggesting sex in them. Why is sex the only thing that catchs our society's attention?

I find it pretty sad that as a society the only thing that really gets our attention is sex. Sex sells. I don't even understand what sex has to do with half the commericals. For example a man holding a woman with a short dress down and Calvin Klein Jeans written at the bottom of the picture. What does that have to do with jean? If you don't take the time to look closely you don't even see the jeans but that's what the company claims to be selling.

5 comments:

  1. I can agree with you. When I see an ad I just see what I want to see. I didn't actually look at the ad as a reflection of our modern society. The amount of sex used in ads seems to be overwhelming as demonstrated by fashion companies like Calvin Klein and Dolce And Gabbana.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be interesting--given this is the most highly anticipated day in advertising (the Super Bowl--to see what our "media experts" have come up with now in order to "JOLT" our attention away from grabbing another cold beer in the kitchen and gluing our eyes back onto the television set between plays. Watch critically!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do agree. Majority of the time you don't even know what is being sold until you find the name of the ad. Even after that it is hard to understand where the concept for the ad came from.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really is a shame that we are supposedly such a sophisticated society yet we have dumbed every ad down to focus on one thing, our sexual desires. No wonder there are more sex crimes and deviants in today's society.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree this week in class as really opened by eyes to certain types of ads. It really makes you look at them in a different light. If more people where educated on this, I think we would change the way ads are thought out.

    ReplyDelete